The Junior Copywriter is responsible for producing bold, strategic, persuasive messaging in all media (on-line, print, direct mail or broadcast) for agency clients. The applicant will be charged with writing advertising copy from concept to completion and for the quality of the final creative product. Therefore, the mechanics of writing: punctuation, spelling, structure and organization are also important in this job.
IMPORTANTLY, at this level, this person must be a “quick study”, someone ready to soak up feedback like a sponge and who is open to and gracious in receiving feedback and training. This is an incredible opportunity to develop professionally as part of a team while working in a fun, fast-moving, and growing company.
Reports to: ACD/Copywriter
- Concept and deliver breakthrough advertising based on the agreed-to strategy
- Work closely with the ACD/Writer, to develop original concepts that are clear, concise and convincing
- Collaborate productively and harmoniously with Art Directors, Digital Designers and Production Managers who share responsibility on the given assignment
- Ensure the grammatical and material accuracy of the copy through every phase of a project
- Help develop and carry out content strategies for websites and social media programs
- Regularly meet with CDs, Brand Strategists and Production Managers to review work in progress and meet or exceed client deadlines
- Present work internally to team members and revise per team feedback
- Revise recommended work per client comments and share approved recommendations with all departments
- Keep abreast of current digital trends and the latest technological advances, including social media
- 2+ years agency experience as Copy Assistant/Junior Copywriter
- Writing samples to be provided in advance of interview
- Bachelor’s degree or higher - coursework in creative writing or conceptual advertising preferred
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Strong team player with problem-solving skills and detail orientation
- Proficient with MS Office suite of products and various messaging platforms like slack
- A solid understanding of current and emerging technologies
- Must be adept at and happy to work on both short and long form copy assignments
Smith Brothers Agency is an independent, highly creative and collaborative marketing company committed to delivering inspiring ideas for courageous clients – those committed to driving dramatic business growth. We service our national accounts from offices in Pittsburgh and look for teammates who are entrepreneurial in their work ethic – in other words, self-starters who “own” their areas of responsibility and execute flawlessly – even under aggressive timelines. We believe culture is key and protect ours steadfastly. Lastly, we’re all about “fit” - talent will get you an interview at Smith Brothers, but chemistry gets you a desk.